Need shell scripters to test Bash patch

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 8 19:29:42 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:40:46PM -0500, Tim Writer wrote:
> William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > In essence, I've been trying to extend Bash's capability, so that I
> > don't have to keep going back and forth between Bash and Awk/Python/Perl
> > for silly little things.
>
> Have you looked at zsh?  As a programming language, its much more
> sophisticated than bash and can be extended via shared libraries.

It has more completion, but that's only useful for interactive session.
It has associative array which is one thing Bash lacks.  Zsh's {1..5}
expansion is 2x faster than Bash.  It recently added multiple for-loop
variables.

But, I do use regular expression aweful lot, both in conditional test
and in splitting/extracting strings.  And, Bash source is better for
patching.  I mean, Zsh source is true spaghetti.  :-)

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>