central mail

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 8 05:50:27 UTC 2004

Paul Mora wrote:

> [...]

> Your ISP may have a restriction as to how big your Inbox can get, and

I see. I guess my usage style is such that I want the little Inbox mail I get to stay on
the server untiil I get a chance to download it to my two machines. Then I happily
delete them from the server. So, for me, the above has not been an issue.

> [...]

> > get more painful before I do. I sometimes wonder if IMAPI just delivers on the
> > promises that POP makes. : )
>
> Not really.  The only thing that option does with POP is remove the
> "delete" command after the mail is downloaded.  POP is still a one-way
> transfer protocol for downloading mail.  For your Inbox, you're getting
> the same effect, more or less, just not very elegantly... :-)

Yeah, exactly - that's the way I understand it.

> [...]

> IMAP, all the folders stay on the server, as well as your Inbox.  You
> can create and delete folders, and copy mail into them, and everything
> actually exists on the server side.

OK. Thanks, Paul. Your explanations have been helpful.

Chris

[...]