punched card editor software ?

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 6 23:01:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, James Knott wrote:

> Peter L. Peres wrote:
> > Does such a thing exist ? (open source/linux preferred) I mean a graphical
> > editor that simulates editing a p.c.
>
> What's to edit?  When you hit the key, you get holes in the card.  At
> best, editing is simply backspacing the card and obliterating the
> character, in a manner similar to the ASCII "rubout" character.  If you
> make a mistake in a punch card, you generally have to toss it.

Nonono. I see that I expressed myself wrong. I need to edit card decks
represented as ASCII fixed format cards, one card per line. The card decks
are actually ASCII files. Think FORTRAN77 source code. I whipped up
something simple in tcl last night so I'm up to something but it will take
some work to make it resonable for general use. I basically want an editor
that understands fields in cards and does some checking on input so the
cards will be acceptable (wrt column alignment etc).

thanks,

Peter