Kudzu Segmentation Fault

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 6 17:36:13 UTC 2004

Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
>    Yesterday I needed a distraction so I upgraded (hardware) my home machine
>    from a Pentium III 850 (based on the Via133 chipset) to an AMD Athlon
>    1700+ (1.1GHz with the KT266 chipset, iirc). I am running Fedora and when
>    I rebooted after upgrading 'kudzu' reported a "Segmentation Fault" on
>    boot. I didn't worry about it until I downloaded the latest kernel for the
>    athlon.
>

>    A bit of an oddity, when I tried to install the kernel via 'rpm -Uvh
>    <kernel>' is kept failing saying that the kernel was intended for an
>    Athlon CPU. I checked 'dmesg' and sure enough it reported being on an
>    athlon. '--force' didn't work but then I read about the '--noarch' switch
>    and voila! Okay, so I am under the new kernel but it still seg faults when
>    kudzu runs. I tried deleting '/etc/sysconfig/hwconf' but that didn't
>    help. Then I tried reinstalling, then updating, rebuilding the latest
>    version from .src.rpm and finally I even tried the very latest CVS and
>    everyone of them seg faults.
>

>    I have also tried removing -all- non essential hardware including
>    disabling everything in the BIOS and that too didn't help. I tried
>    checking '/var/log/messages|dmesg|ksyms.0' but non of them had any errors
>    about kudzu. Does anyone have a suggestion for me? Does anyone know how to
>    make kudzu a little more verbose or where it logs errors to? Failing all
>    this, is there another hardware detection tool I can drop in to replace
>    kudzu?

Install Debian. :-) More seriously, if you know what hardware you have (and
it sounds like you do), you don't need kudzu or any hardware detection tool.
Just remove it.  Kudzu is usually the first package I remove after installing
any version of Red Hat.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada