central mail

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 5 13:16:50 UTC 2004

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I included most of the original
post below as it has been a while. I have not switched to IMAPI (and I don't
know yet if my ISP's server supports it) - things will have to get more
painful before I switch - because pop is now doing what I want it to do.

It seems now that as long as I hit 'Get Msg' in NSMessenger and 'Check New
Mail' in webmail, the mail is now deleting from the server. I guess this is
the kind of thing that you don't have to do with IMAPI. So, I'm sure I'll
make the switch eventually.

:) Chris

b1gsao75 wrote:

> Chris Aitken wrote:
>
> >I have been using Netscape Messenger for email for some time.
> >It has served me well.
> >
> >I now need to move to a system by which I can see the same
> >email from two different PCs. Sounds like a simple thing but I have
> >a feeling this is going to entail a huge learning curve and maybe even
> >moving to a different email system.
> >
> >I don't even know where to start. I know that helpless newbies are not
> >to be coddled on this list - I just need the first concept to
> >investigate
> >and then I'm sure that will have me chasing the right ideas - unless you
> >
> >know of a site called "Setting up Netscape Messenger to store the mail
> >database centrally to be accessed from any linux PC on the network"
> >(please Creator, let there be such a site!). : )
> >
> >Chris
> >

> IMAP has been suggested, or you can set the local mail in Netscape
> preferences of both PCs to point to the same Mail directory. You need to
> set up permissions properly.

[...]