Anyone whose ever had to rebuild a server just fromtapes might agree

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 5 20:09:02 UTC 2004

>> 1. Getting a true backup of a system onto tape is often difficult due to
>> open files of the OS and various(important)  data and programs.

IMHO, simply backing up to tape isn't enough. Tapes are slow write
devices, and any changes to data during the write process isn't captured
accurately. I also don't like backing onto tape direct from a live server
for the same reason. A solution is simple as using rsync to copy the data
to a back-up server so the data snapshot has a lower timestamp spread and
make the backup to the tape from the snapshot.

This gives 2 copies of the data, and allows fast access to the most recent
backup from a hard drive, and also gives you the time to make the tape
transfer without any time pressures.

--
Keith Mastin
(416)429 9304