Linux and PIC development

Mel Wilson mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 5 14:09:50 UTC 2004

In article <3FF867AB.4040606-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>,
Byron Sonne <blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>For some odd reason, boredom or a desire to learn something new, I
>decided to get involved with PIC development
>(http://asp.microchip.com/wwwParamChart/Tree.aspx?mid=&treeid=1&wdid=132&gdir=1010).
>I was nearly put off MCU tinkering thanks to the 68HC11 over a decade
>ago, but memories fade ;) [ ... ]

   Not that I can help much now (I'm not a PIC hacker at
this exact moment).  Just felt the urge to make noise.

   My preferred development environment has been a good
editor plus an ICE and programmer, plus the old Cross-32
Meta Assembler.  The assembler is payware, and I don't know
that it's supported any more, but it was retargetable, and
let me boot myself into programming 68HCxx, 64180 and
H8/300, with a look at PIC and a couple of other lines along
the way.

   For production I too went with MPLAB, because it was
"standard", and because it alone let me use the PICStart
programmer.  Succsessive versions got to be a bit of a pain
as they started to insist on doing more for me than I
wanted.  At some point MPLAB insisted on opening a project,
and this broke the procedure I'd set up where production
people could open an object file to program a few chips on
the PICStart.  I didn't see the need to tempt them with the
source code..  I had to keep an MPLAB 5 (I think it was)
installation around just for them.

>P.S. I'm aiming for 16F84A devel, but also very interested in the 12F675
>as one came with the PICKit1. Got a rail of 16F84A (Qty:4) so I'm
>willing to trade, for favours or good Karma, let me know if interested.

   A name I trust on comp.arch.embedded just said that
16F48s are passe (I forget the exact word he used) and
16F628 are the thing to use.  Of course that's no reason to
waste a rail of chips.

   I know we're rather off topic, but if you want to post
occasional progress reports here, I'll be happy to read
them.

        Regards.        Mel.