Linux and PIC development

Byron Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 4 19:21:15 UTC 2004

Greetings,

For some odd reason, boredom or a desire to learn something new, I
decided to get involved with PIC development
(http://asp.microchip.com/wwwParamChart/Tree.aspx?mid=&treeid=1&wdid=132&gdir=1010).
I was nearly put off MCU tinkering thanks to the 68HC11 over a decade
ago, but memories fade ;)

Also picked up this book by a Toronto guy called Myke Predko, think it
was called 'Programming and Customizing PIC Microcontrollers', came with
a PCB for a parallel port driven programmer called the 'El Cheapo' (it
uses the ICSP feature of the newer PICs), so I built it up and it worked
AOK. Also ordered in the PICKit1 starter kit from Microchip which is USB
driven.

I rather like the <shudder> Windows IDE called MPLAB that came with the
product (5x with the book, 6.30.x with the PICKit1), so I figured I'd
whip up a Win98 VMWARE image (vmware 4.0.5) so I could use it in Linux.
No go, especially for the parallel port programmer. Not unexpected, oh
well. Tried alot of tweaks, no go still. Some USB problems, but frig it,
I want 'em both working on the same box.

The short of this is that I'd like to know if anyone is a PIC hacker on
this list, and what they use for their devel environment. I know CLI
linux tools exist, I have a few, but I'd like to avail myself of/leech
off of other peoples experience... any hints, tips or tricks, or secret
PIC IDEs you've got stashed away? ;) I don't want to go back to windows,
VMWARE or otherwise after this hassle.

Later & Thanks, Happy New Year,
Byron

P.S. I'm aiming for 16F84A devel, but also very interested in the 12F675
as one came with the PICKit1. Got a rail of 16F84A (Qty:4) so I'm
willing to trade, for favours or good Karma, let me know if interested.

P.P.S. Good BASIC compiler info is always welcome too, I don't feel
like/can't afford forking over $250 for PicBasic Pro
(http://www.melabs.com/products/pbp.htm) though I quite like the feature
set.

--

For Good, return Good. For Evil, return Justice.