[caret question]

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 4 19:25:15 UTC 2004

Basically, all of those programs are generally designed to deal with
standard ASCII text.  When they run in to undisplayable characters (such
as 0x7F) how they get shown is up to the program.  Things like gedit and
kmail will give some kind of icon which represents an undisplayable
character.  vi and pico, being traditionally text based, show it in a
different manner.

--
Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>