Data recovery emergency on a downed server... Help please!!

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 2 21:41:30 UTC 2004

Peter L. Peres wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Robert Brockway wrote:
> I do not agree fully. Incompatible tape mechanisms and backup tape horror
> stories are due to the strange ideas customers have about tape mechanism
> MTBFs. A tape mechanism belongs in a service center for checkup once at
> most every 1000 hours of use at the latest (better 500 hours, or once a
> year), assuming it runs in a low dust conditioned environment with no
> smoking and no copiers/laser printers allowed near it (some of the toner
> ends up as fine dust inside the surrounding machines)

And no programmers, who insist on smoking near the computers.  Years
ago, I serviced mini computers and there were a couple of programmers
who'd be smoking while changing tapes or disk packs, despite being told
not to. (this was before the no smoking laws)  I also had to clean the
cigarette ashes out of a lot of terminal keyboards.