Anyone whose ever had to rebuild a server just from tapes might agree

Teddy Mills teddymills-VFlxZYho3OA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 1 03:47:07 UTC 2004

I dont like backups onto CDs or any tape formats.  Be it helical, travan or
whatever.
Backing up just data is fine and reliable.  But systems are a NOS and data.
NOS being the operating system and all the installed programs running.

1. Getting a true backup of a system onto tape is often difficult due to
open files of the OS and various(important)  data and programs.
2. If the system crashes, restoring a system entirely from tape is equally
as difficult. On servers with real data. I will never make that mistake
agan. Anyone whose ever had to rebuild a server just from tapes might agree.

The system I chose for now, is running a mirrored drive system, and backing
up just the data onto tape.
A third drive I keep as a drive image backup.