has everyone been eating their happy pills?

Lloyd Budd lloyd-fEEwcc3XMu8jODpR/OX0VQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 29 22:44:52 UTC 2004

On 29-Feb-04, at 14:47, Andrew G. Hammond wrote:

> Lloyd Budd wrote:
>
>> I know about "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way?"
>> <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
>
> Anyone else think that ESR comes across as arrogant
>  in that FAQ? Especially the older versions.
I agree, but still be helpful.

>> but where is the "How to Answer Questions..."
>
> No kidding. Always makes me want to smack the smug
>  jerks who just say RTFM without providing a pointer to
> relevant documentation. If you can't say something
>  useful don't waste other people's time.
The great news is that each of us can "ignore" people
   -- there is even "common" technology that makes this
  easier ;-) .  I always struggle with not feeding the flame.

> I think that's the thing that really bothers me about
>  ESR's FAQ. It propounds this very polarized view of
>  the world: godly hackers and lowly suplicant lusers.
Well, in the context of your own msg, please
elaborate? ;-)  Have you considered submitting
suggestions to ESR? ;-)  I think things being
*slightly* polarized makes sense though -- people
are looking for hand-outs, so demonstrating your
knowledge and research is appropriate.  If your
time is too valuable, then use something else
or pay someone (or barter) ;-)