Programming in Linux

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 28 20:57:31 UTC 2004

Wine is just a set of libraries used to emulate the Microsoft Windows
environment. So, not being an actual program, "WINE is not an emulator" (that's
what WINE stands for). Wine is not the most stable set of libraries to use. It
is always better to use the native Linux libraries, preferably its own static
libraries, so that your program won't choke on a system upgrade. I recall that
this was done successfully with WordPerfect 6 and 8, which seems to install on
any Linux without trouble.

I have two programs that require WINE: WordPerfect Office 2000 for Linux, and
Borland Kylix 3.0 (parallel to Delphi 7 on Windows). Thus, its widest
acceptance are among software makers who perhaps don't have the manpower or
budget to do a full port of their software to Linux. But unfortunately, there
is a price to pay in loss of stability.

Paul King