Question

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 28 19:41:01 UTC 2004

> On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 08:49:33AM -0500, Paul King wrote:
> > Well, for one thing, FreeBSD is a kind of BSD, not Linux. THe only similarity
> > they share is that they both come from the UNIX lineage.
>
> Well BSD started from UNIX source.  Linux never had unix source, it was
> from scratch.  Same design philosophy for the base system though.

As far as I am concerned, if it takes a knowledge of the source code lineage to
tell them apart, then I think that it is fair enough to say that they are
similar to any ordinary user. I said nothing about source code. What I meant is
that StreetSmart can pick up a generic "UNIX" textbook and apply it to Linux
(which I have done in the past), and feel fairly confident that they will still
get something out of it.

Paul King