OT: Acronyms [was RE: Question]

Chris Keelan rufmetal-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 28 18:28:32 UTC 2004

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:59:12 -0500 (EST)
Henry Spencer <henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Chris Keelan wrote:
> > You can't really be that new at this.
>
> Is the purpose to communicate, or to show off how cool you are?

How does typing acronyms in common useage in dozens of internet
forums, across a significant period of time, equate to me trying to show
how cool I am? If this were a hockey discussion list, would I be trying
to show off when I discussed "neutral zone trap" or a "box plus one"
defence?

I didn't use YHBT/HAND because I wanted to confuse Mr. King
or Mr. Hill, rather I couldn't imagine that either participant of this
sometime technical discussion list /wouldn't/ know those acronyms.

It turns out that Street Smart wasn't trolling and for that I owe him an
apology. I made that assessment based on his two messages, the first of
which was a question to the list asking how he could ask the list
questions (?!?), the second offered the observation that FreeBSD might
be the best Linux distro for a beginner.

Are you telling me that your antennae didn't twitch at that?

I resent the implication that I'm a d00d (do I need to spell *that* out
for the list?) because I used internet jargon while participating in a
technical discussion group.

~ C