Question

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 28 13:49:33 UTC 2004

Well, for one thing, FreeBSD is a kind of BSD, not Linux. THe only similarity
they share is that they both come from the UNIX lineage.

I must admit, that I have downloaded BSD before, and have never been able to
successfully install it on any hardware yet. That being said, I have used Linux
since Slackware and the 1.0.6 kernel. Comparing it to what I now run Linux on,
I recall that I was able to run it successfully on truly degenerate hardware
(to begin with, a 486 SX-33 (no math co-pro) with 4 megs of RAM). These days on
current hardware, you should have no trouble installing a recent linux.

A distribution I have worked with recently that I would recommend to a
beginner: Mandrake 9.2, which I had to install on a school server. Best use of
framebuffers I have seen, although I don't use framebuffers myself.

Paul King