Fedora Core 1 and a Palm Vx (Workpad c3)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 27 19:46:59 UTC 2004

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 02:27:34PM -0500, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I picked up recently a used pal pilot (The IBM Workpad c3 which is
> exactly a Palm Vx in a black case with the IBM logo). I tried connecting
> it to my computer via COM2 (ttys1, I would assume). However, as a user
> when I try to connect the the pilot (ask saying "No" when asked if I had
> ever sync'ed it before) it would just sit there seemingly forever, or at
> least until the palm gave up.
>
>   Could someone who has got their Palm working as a user let me know
> what I need to do? Thanks!
>
> Madison
>
> PS - I am using [Redhat Start] -> Preferences -> More Preferences ->
> PalmOS Devices  (Gnome Pilot).

What permissions are on /dev/ttyS1?  Does your user have access to
read/write to that port?  On debian the palm sync software usually asks
and changes the group to a group that is just used for plan stuff so you
can add your user to that group, or you can add the user to the normal
dialout group that owns the serial ports (well the group) on debian.

Lennart Sorensen