Interesting warning regarding filesharing

Garth Meisel Garth-xsdjDKdUMl2akBO8gow8eQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 27 18:50:34 UTC 2004

I don't remember where I heard something that lies within this last post about
ISP's reporting the users to the authorities.  Some ISP's were reporting the
IP's, bandwidth used, and providing names of users to the authorities.
Somewhere down the road someone said "Invasion of privacy" or some other
legitimate right and now some ISP's have either had to rewrite their customer
contracts but some have outright refused to co-operate with the authorities.
I wish memory served me better but this is all I can remember.  In my
paranoid side I'm thinking the authorities may have asked the ISP's to
actually specifically monitor and or PIPE the same usage of a certain
customer to them thus why the  argument.  That without a doubt cannot be
legal in any way shape or form no matter who the authority is SO LONG as the
activity is not TERRORIST related but this also a new area without much
precedent thus far.