<OT> I can't resist

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 27 17:20:55 UTC 2004

On Friday 27 February 2004 12:01, Garth Meisel wrote:

> So let's break that down a little:
> #1- Would have to run for 3 months to be CERTAIN to catch 99% of the
> computers in the world.  If that is even long enough.

I don't think a worm needs that much time to do massive damage.  I recall
reading in one of the computer rags (eweek, computing canada, or some such)
about the speed with which a particular worm spread.

I believe the worm was blaster and that the statistics stated were something
like:

- within 15 minutes 90% of available computers were infected
- within 3 minutes the worm was scanning at a rate of 55 million ip addresses
  per second

The above numbers have no basis in fact since they are only from my memory.
Does anyone have a reference to statistics like this?  Wish I'd saved the
article :-(

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                          Starnix Inc.
Telephone: (905) 771-0017 ext. 223              Thornhill, Ontario, Canada