RH 7.1 atd suddenly fails at startup...what happened?

Russ Heaton rheaton-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 27 01:24:32 UTC 2004

I was afraid it might come to that.   Thank God this is not a critical
machine.  I've never been able to gracefully/cleanly upgrade a Linux
machine.  It seems that you have to have an extreme awareness of where
everything is placed when you first install an app, so that when you
upgrade you know what to save.  If it was just a matter of saving your
/etc and /home, it wouldn't be so bad, plus there are issues of what
version libc you're upgrading from/to and so on and so forth, plus
re-installing each app. one by one.  It's not that easy when you only
occasionally venture into the Linux world.   In any event, I guess
that's what I'm gonna have to do.  I'd kind of like to try Debian, but
there don't really seem to be many books on the subject, where as
there seem to be lots of them for RedHat, so I'll probably go for the
current version of RedHat.

Thanks to all for the assistance. :-)

Russ.