RH 7.1 atd suddenly fails at startup...what happened?

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 26 17:12:28 UTC 2004

On Thursday 26 February 2004 11:19, Garth Meisel wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > So now, how do I get rid of that virus/trojan or whatever it is?
>
> <snip>
>
> I'm willing to be you don't have one.

Huh???  /dev/caca and /dev/dsx certainly aren't standard fare on Redhat (or
any other Linux) installs.

You could run chkrootkit or some other trojan finders (?) from rescue media
(Knoppix would be perfect).  Finding all the bugs is an interesting exercise.

IMO, the ultimate (and only) solution is to reinstall from scratch.  You can
reasonably safely keep/backup your data (/home and /var) but you should look
through that carefully as well. See
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/win-UNIX-system_compromise.html for some tips.

To the OP; do not reinstall using Redhat 7.1.  Install using an up-to-date
distribution that is maintainable/upgradeable.  I am a rabid Debian advocate
but you're free to explore the lesser alternatives ;-)