Laptop Advice

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 25 23:42:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 06:17:20PM -0500, Sidney Shapiro wrote:
> Howdy all, I am looking for a laptop to use for school (essays and computer
> science) somthing good, with a built in wireless network card and a computer
> which will last. I am looking at spending about 1500-2000, any suggestions of
> where to look and who to buy from?

You can get an iBook for under $2000.  University bookstores get an
educational discount, so they're probably your best bet.  You can get
your Word or Appleworks fix if LaTeX doesn't suit you, and all of
your standard UNIX utils are handy for all your CS needs.  The battery
life is great on those boxen, as is the "don't need to dick around,
it just works" nature is great, particularly when exams come around.

You can always put Linux on it if OSX _really_ gets your goat.  I tried
it just to see, and it ran more smoothly than I would have expected...
but still less smoothly than OSX.  ;)

--
taa

   efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.
      - Robert A. Heinlein
/*eof*/