this business model actually works

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 21 17:34:43 UTC 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 09:39:44AM -0500, fcsoft-3Emkkp+1Olsmp8TqCH86vg at public.gmane.org wrote
> I make no claims that my private source ideas are original.
>
> I'm simply struggling to find a business model which can revive the dying
> (or dead) custom software industry in the GTA before it is too late.
>
> I maintain that for most custom software (which by definition has a limited
> scope) this Community Licence or Private Source Licence scheme
> retains most of the benefits of user control afforded by the Open Source
> licences but at the same time provides a mechanism whereby the actual
> developers and maintainers can get compensated.
>
> Private source licences don't make sense for generic utilities and or
> programming tools,    but they might make sense for a PHP/mySQL/C
> code system to manage the local muffler shop franchise.

  Several "split-level" licences are offered by various outfits, e.g.
MySQL and ReiserFS.  If you download MySQL or ReiserFS for free, you are
bound by the GPL if distribute software containing them.  If you get the
appropriate licence from the developers of MySQL or ReiserFS, you can
include the item in proprietary software without having to disclose any
source code.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did