Got my feet wet - now getting cold feet.

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 20 20:48:30 UTC 2004

"James Carruthers" <mysticsound-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I am considering installing Linux on my own inspiron 1100 (upgraded to
> 640MB RAM and soon to have an 80GB drive). However, I have some very
> strong concerns. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this to help me make
> the best decision.
>
> Some of the many problems I have to learn how to solve are:
>
> *	Will the Linux OS properly recognize all my hardware? I've done
> some reading on the internet and found that installing Linux on the
> inspiron 1100 "is not easy" and that certain things won't work no matter
> what, like the power, but I don't know if that goes for all distros or
> maybe I was reading out-dated material?

I have an Inspiron 1100 running Debian stable with XFree 4.3 and KDE 3.1.3.
It works well but it wasn't easy to setup.  Currenlty, I believe all of the
hardware is working including:

    o   USB 2.0;

    o   the builtin software modem (using beta drivers from
        http://www.linuxant.com);

    o   on-board sound (Intel i810) which works best with the Alsa
        drivers but also works with OSS;

    o   on-board Intel i830 graphics with DRI/DRM for 3D accelation;

    o   on-board Broadcomm NIC (I'm using the bcm4400 driver from Broadcomm
        although recent kernels [2.4.22 and later IIRC]) have a driver);

    o   PCMCIA with various Ethernet NICs and an Orinoco WiFi card;

    o   ACPI for power management.

Power management is only functional to a point.  I can use it to monitor
battery status, etc. and it will warn me when the battery is low but suspend
doesn't work.  I understand "software suspend" is supposed to work but it
seems to be a work in progress and I don't travel enough to be overly worried
about it.  You will need to upgrade the BIOS to get this to work.

The latest version of KNOPPIX boots nicely.  If you decide to install Debian
stable, I can provide you with my kernel package.

> *	Will the Linux OS properly recognize my usb 2.0 wireless mouse
> and my plextor PX-708UF external drive?

I have the ATA version of the same Plextor in my home desktop (also running
Debian stable) and it works like a charm.  Since USB 2.0 is working and USB
DVD[+-]RW drives are supposed to work, yours should.  However, I have no
direct experience.

> Will I be able to "plug and
> play" with the PC card slot - for instance I need to get a fire-wire
> jack to connect to the semi-professional digital video camera I'll soon
> be using?

I can't speak for firewire but I haven't had any problems using the PCMCIA
with several NICs as wells as an Orinoco WiFi card.

> Cautiously curious,

I agree with the other posters though that it might not be wise to rush into
this before leaving for India.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada