Mail routing problem...

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 19 16:46:32 UTC 2004

On February 19, 2004 11:16 am, Madison Kelly wrote:

> Sendmail). When I first wrote the DNS record to 'thelinuxexperience.com'
> I set 'mail.alteeve.com' as the first destination (my bad) and
> 'mail.thelinuxexperience.com' as the secondary mail server. A few days I
> fixed that and made 'mail.thelinuxexperience.com' the only mail server
> for TLE.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying that mail.alteeve.com was a problem, as
long as mail.alteeve.com resolves to the correct A record the name is
irrelevant.

Here is one problem:

    fraser-74b65gqZ7FE at public.gmane.org% host -t mx thelinuxexperience.com
    thelinuxexperience.com  MX      10 mail.thelinuxexperience.com
    !!! thelinuxexperience.com MX host mail.thelinuxexperience.com is not
    canonical

MX records should points to hosts that are A records, not CNAMEs.

>     ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> <mkelly-pgLVY6gkuiiyKdaMMURGoWiJhflN2719 at public.gmane.org>
>
>     ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> 554 5.0.0 MX list for thelinuxexperience.com. points back to alteeve.com
> 554 5.3.5 Local configuration error

It's possible that the CNAME problem is enough to cause this but I'm not sure.
Have you made your mailserver aware that it is the mailserver for the new
domain.  IIRC, sendmail wants you to list your local domains in a file
somewhere (look for sendmail.cw or local-host-names or something).