Preventing the next MyDoom (fwd)

Stewart Sinclair stewsinc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 19 15:09:36 UTC 2004

Your points are well taken and it seems so simple and obvious once it's
explained.

There is another type of problem besides the dumb user that this "dumb
writer" seems to over look.  I have a friend who is  a technical editor for
an automotive magazine.  He gets dozens of emails with attached PDF's,
graphics, etc. (that also include zip's and self extractors) with minimal
explanations every day - that he has to open (and dispose of rapidly) to do
his job at all.

He is also at the mercy of the publisher's IT department which is
overloaded due to cut backs for his protection as well as being required to
use the client software that they choose.

This may be an extreme case but I suspect that there are many such
situations on corporate LANs - users overloaded with legitimate incoming
mail with attachments accompanied by minimal or no explanations.

Stew
****