SSH session + Japanese mail in mutt

Noah John Gellner noah.gellner-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 19 05:48:13 UTC 2004

I would be extremely grateful if anyone can help me. I want to read and
write Japanese mail in an ssh session, preferably using mutt. I will be
sshing in from a windows box and thus will be using windows IME for
Japanese input.

A second best solution would be to only be able to read Japanese mail.
Currently when I get Japanese mail it is garbled. I stays garbled when I
forward it to yahoo webmail where I can read Japanese mail.

I am running Gentoo linux as a headless server. The computer serves files and hosts a simple
web site and a personal mail system. I fetchmail, and deposit into my
mailboxes using procmail. I use both bogofilter and spamassassin to
filter junk. I set up webmail using Squirrelmail. I use Courier imap
with ssl.

I haven't set up locales because I don't completely understand how to. I
am also not sure if they will work over ssh.

I use putty for ssh.

I am flexible about changing anything if it will solve my problem.

Thank you all again.

--
Noah John Gellner
J.D. Candidate (2006)