Postal Code/Locator

Mark Wadden mark-/2gyfjYZF1k at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 17 14:06:17 UTC 2004

I've got just the thing for you....

http://www.zipinfo.com/products/z5ll/z5ll.htm

This is basically a large text file with all the info you'll need.  A sample
record follows:

"City Name","State Code","ZIP code","Area code","County FIPS code","County
Name","Time zone","DST","Latitude","Longitude","ZIP Code Type"
"Austin","TX","73301","512","48453","Travis","CST","Y","30.2669","97.7429"

I'm not 100% sure if that's the right link above, but they do have Canadian
data as well.  I've built the exact type of locator you're looking for with
this data.  We dumped the file into mysql and wrote a perl mod to do the
searches.  It uses the two postal codes and the longitude/latitude to
compute the distance.  Here's a couple examples of store locators that I've
built for my clients using this:

http://www.nikon.ca/dealers/
http://www.coffeetime.ca/findastore-1.esp

Let me know if you choose to go this way and I can forward on the perl code
I have.

Hope this helps!

--
Mark Wadden