Debian Package Management and Firefox

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 16 16:59:58 UTC 2004

On February 12, 2004 21:15, Anton Markov wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> Well, I've been running Debian now for two weeks, and I love it,
> especially the package management system! Except for one thing:
>
> Now that Firefox 0.8 browser (Mozilla Firebird 0.8 renamed) (YAY!) has
> come out along with Thunderbird 0.5 e-mail client, I want to install
> them on my system. For now I just decompressed them to a folder in my
> home directory and run them from there, but I want to make them the
> default browser/e-mail.

I would suggest that you don't get too hung up on installing everything only
by .debs.  Untar it to /opt, create a Desktop icon to the firefox
executable and your off and running.  When the next version comes out do
the same thing, a new directory will be created and change the properties
of the icon to the new directory.

After a bit more time we can help get Flash, Java etc working by creating
the symlinks that you need.  A bit much for a newbie right now

--
Merv Curley

Scarborough,  Ont

Libranet Linux  2.8   KDE 3.1.4   KMail 1.5.4