[Router/SNMP]

Gregory D Hough mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 16 15:04:04 UTC 2004

Tlug,

Starting over from scratch is a daunting task for a Linux hobbyist. I
needed a quick fix so we could have two machines sharing a connection.
The fix is a hardware Firewall/Router (Linksys BEFSX41-CA). I chose
this model because it was available and inexpensive. The only problem I
had with the setup was the default MTU of 1492. An MTU of 1400 solved
the browser hiccups.

This model includes 4 ports. One port may be designated for DMZ. The
unit does provide some simple logging capabilities that can be stored
on a designated machine on the network. The problem is that the
LogViewing software provided on the manufactures disc is for Windows. I
can view the current logs with a browser but I'd like them to go to a
dedicated Linux machine for storage. However, the protocol it uses
(SNMPv1) to me, is anything BUT Simple.

I have done some initial googling for SNMP, enough to learn the current
version of this protocol is v3 and that I'll need a slew of new
software.

Is anyone out there familiar with snmp-trap/routers that could point me
to a well-written condensed tutorial? I need just enough info to store/
view the logs for now.

Thanks,
farmer6re9