compaq deskpro for linux - HD problem

Ilya Palagin IlyaPalagin-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 13 23:50:48 UTC 2004

Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 06:53:00AM -0800, James wrote
>

>>I fdisk the new HD so there is no partition at all. then i load the
>>diagnostics disk and choose to create diagnostics partition. This
>>process seems run fine( however i choose to 'delete diagnostics
>>partition' after the create operation
>

>   Why ?  The point of the diagnostics diskette is to create the
> partition.  Compaqs *MUST* have the hidden diagnostics partition to boot
> *REGARDLESS OF YOUR OS*.  We went through that at work with a Compaq
> server, before we got linux working on it.  Compaqs are the most damn
> proprietary "Win-tel" machines on the planet.  It's to late for you, but
> I suggest everybody else stay away from Compaqs.  BTW, how much do the
> weird screwdrivers cost ?

It's definitely too late :-)  I remember my searching for memory for
Compaq's "mono" - monitor and computer in one case, I can't remember the
model name (must be Presario?). Regular EDO SIMMs just didn't work, as
well as regular FastPage, it required something specific, being a
regular desktop. Compaq service centre could order it for me, but the
price would be HUGE.  Once upon a time I was replacing floppy drive in a
Compaq desktop. Of course, it didn't fit well, and there was a gap
between the drive and the case :-)

Shortly - stay away from any Brand Names! Build computers from widely
available parts, only in this case they'll work for years independently
from its manufacturer.