Samba/VPN novice

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 13 23:59:45 UTC 2004

Phillip Mills wrote:
> I'm trying to use my Linux system (SuSE 8.1) to talk via VPN to a network of
> PCs.  I built the vpn module, installed it, and I'm able to ping systems
> through the tunnel.
>
> I installed everything I could find (:-) related to samba or smb.  I defined a
> share on my system, started smbd and nmbd, and I'm able to use 'smbclient -L
> 127.0.0.1' and get a reasonable view of my own services.
>
> However, any attempt to use smbclient or smbmount through the VPN is getting
> me messages of the form:
> "timeout connecting to xx.xx.xx.xx:139
> Error connecting to xx.xx.xx.xx (Operation already in progress)
> 2903: Connection to ABC failed
> SMB connection failed"
>
> In spite of ping working, I *think* the problem is on the VPN side because
> telnet to port 139 on the target system hangs also.
>
> Any suggestions?

Yes, the interfaces option in smb.conf.

In the [global] section of smb.conf, add a line like the one below, but
use the values appropriate to your system.  In the example below, the
first address range is the ethernet connection for my notebook computer
and the other is the vpn range.  This tells Samba to use the ethernet
and vpn interfaces.  Otherwise, it will not try to use the vpn, since it
is not broadcast capable.

interfaces = 192.168.1.0/24 192.168.2.0/24