DNS question

Robert F. Kennedy rfk-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 13 23:07:41 UTC 2004

Hello,

Thanks for the many helpful comments.

> ; Name servers
> IN	NS	ns1.shambhalatoronto.org.
> IN	NS	ns.istop.com.
>
> ; Mail server for domain
> IN	MX	10	ns1.shambhalatoronto.org.

>The "IN" bit is normally indented, and might be getting misparsed.

I just indented the IN lines and then checked syslog and got the
following:
Feb 13 17:46:50 ns1 named[1063]: loading configuration from
'/etc/named.conf'
Feb 13 17:46:50 ns1 named[1063]: no IPv6 interfaces found
Feb 13 17:46:50 ns1 named[1063]: zone shambhalatoronto.org/IN: loaded
serial 15
Feb 13 17:46:50 ns1 named[1063]: zone shambhalatoronto.org/IN: sending
notifies (serial 15)
Feb 13 17:46:50 ns1 named: named reload succeeded

syslog had never reported lines four and five before so perhaps things
are working now. However, odd thing is typing #host
ns1.shambhalatoronto.org is returning the incorrect IP address. It
returns 11.66.164.95 instead of 66.11.164.95. I can't figure out where
this typo occurred. The domain is registered with directnic.com. The
only data I've given them is my nameserver and istop.com's secondary
nameserver.

>You need to have UDP port 53 open to the world, for normal queries, but
TCP 53 can be
>restricted to allow only your secondaries to AXFR the domain.  The only
case in which the
>world needs TCP/53 is if you have so many DNS records of a particular
type that a response
>doesn't fit in a UDP packet and a resolver has to fall back on TCP to
get the whole answer
>from your nameserver (and the right thing to do is to keep large
recordsets under the limit)

At first I hadn't opened :53 for UDP and got error messages in syslog,
then corrected that problem, so it's not that.

Thanks for the help,
Robert

Robert F. Kennedy
Toronto