compaq deskpro for linux - HD problem

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 13 15:15:21 UTC 2004

Hi Qiang,

   The only thing I could think to suggest is that something with the
MBR is messed up. I remember back years ago when I started playing with
Linux that when I tried to reinstall MS (win9x?), even though I used
FDISK to re-write the MBR, Lilo would still attempt to load at boot and
die. What I had to do back then was use a hex editor (Norton's diskedit
on a Win9x boot disk works great) to "zero" the first few sectors. After
that, everything worked like a charm.

E-mail me off list at "linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org" if you would like more infor
on how to do this.

Best of luck!