Debian Package Management and Firefox

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 13 04:56:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 09:15:18PM -0500, Anton Markov wrote:
> Well, I've been running Debian now for two weeks, and I love it,
> especially the package management system! Except for one thing:
>
> Now that Firefox 0.8 browser (Mozilla Firebird 0.8 renamed) (YAY!) has
> come out along with Thunderbird 0.5 e-mail client, I want to install
> them on my system. For now I just decompressed them to a folder in my
> home directory and run them from there, but I want to make them the
> default browser/e-mail.
>
> I have read about the update-alternatives command, but I am not very
> clear whether it will work with a non-dpkg'ed application (there are no
> Firefox packages for Debian that I know of).  Any suggestions are
> appreciated.
>

> P.S. The Firefox website:
> <http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/>

You could check www.apt-get.org and www.backports.org for things like
that.  I know firebird is in unstable at least (I run it at times,
although I find plain mozilla way more compatible with most web sites,
beating konqueror, opera and firebird.  At least for flash sites.)

Anyhow, at least it should be possible to get a backport if not now,
within a few days.

Lennart Sorensen