Debian Package Management and Firefox

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 13 02:15:18 UTC 2004

Hello guys,

Well, I've been running Debian now for two weeks, and I love it,
especially the package management system! Except for one thing:

Now that Firefox 0.8 browser (Mozilla Firebird 0.8 renamed) (YAY!) has
come out along with Thunderbird 0.5 e-mail client, I want to install
them on my system. For now I just decompressed them to a folder in my
home directory and run them from there, but I want to make them the
default browser/e-mail.

I have read about the update-alternatives command, but I am not very
clear whether it will work with a non-dpkg'ed application (there are no
Firefox packages for Debian that I know of).  Any suggestions are
appreciated.

P.S. The Firefox website:
<http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/>

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***