DNS question

Robert F. Kennedy rfk-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 13 00:13:59 UTC 2004

Hello,

I am trying to set up a DNS server for shambhalatoronto.org using a
machine with a fresh install of RH9 fully updated.

I get the following error:
named-xfer[20373]: connect(66.11.164.95) for zone shamabhalatoronto.org
failed: Connection timed out

It seems that my firewall is not letting signals through to port 53
(used www.dnsreport.com) which named is listening on. My Linksys router
is forwarding port 53 among others to my local IP 192.168.2.27.

Another strange thing that has gone wrong while trying to get DNS
working and is probably related is that my Mozilla browser can find
sites by IP number but can't resolve hosts using domain names.

If anyone has any ideas of what I might be doing wrong, please advise
me. I have been struggling with this for weeks now. I have cut and
pasted all the relevant configuration files below, please let me know if
there is another file that I should include.

Plug: Istop is providing free DNS secondary name serving and has helped
me out a lot with this problem.

Thanks for any assistance,
Robert

Named.conf file:
options {
	query-source address * port 53;
	listen-on {
		192.168.2.27;
		};
	directory "/var/named";
	forward first;
           forwarders {
                66.11.168.195;
                66.11.168.198;
            };
};

   - - -

zone "shambhalatoronto.org" {
	type master;
	file "db.shambhalatoronto.org";
	allow-transfer { 66.11.168.199; };
};

db.shambhalatoronto.org file:

$TTL 600
@	IN	SOA	shambhalatoronto.org.
hostmaster.shambhalatoronto.org.	(
		14 ; Serial
		288 ; Refresh
		14400 ; Retry
		3600000 ; Expire
		600 ) ; Minimum
; Name servers
IN	NS	ns1.shambhalatoronto.org.
IN	NS	ns.istop.com.

; Mail server for domain
IN	MX	10	ns1.shambhalatoronto.org.

; Public servers
localhost	IN	A	127.0.0.1
ns1	IN	A	66.11.164.95
mail	IN	A	66.11.164.95
www	IN	A	66.11.164.95
ftp	IN	A	66.11.164.95
; EOF

Network Configuration (GUI):

Host - ns1.shambhalatoronto.org
Primary DNS - 66.11.164.95
Secondary DNS - 66.11.168.199
Tertiary DNS - 192.168.2.27
DNS Search Path - shambhalatoronto.org

Resolve.conf file:

; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script - Rfk added local IP line
search shambhalatoronto.org
nameserver 66.11.164.95
nameserver 66.11.168.199
nameserver 192.168.2.27

hosts file:

127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
66.11.164.95	ns1.shambhalatoronto.org	ns1