Samba/VPN novice

Phillip Mills pmills-5bG9SNWDbRX3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 11 17:20:43 UTC 2004

I'm trying to use my Linux system (SuSE 8.1) to talk via VPN to a network of
PCs.  I built the vpn module, installed it, and I'm able to ping systems
through the tunnel.

I installed everything I could find (:-) related to samba or smb.  I defined a
share on my system, started smbd and nmbd, and I'm able to use 'smbclient -L
127.0.0.1' and get a reasonable view of my own services.

However, any attempt to use smbclient or smbmount through the VPN is getting
me messages of the form:
"timeout connecting to xx.xx.xx.xx:139
Error connecting to xx.xx.xx.xx (Operation already in progress)
2903: Connection to ABC failed
SMB connection failed"

In spite of ping working, I *think* the problem is on the VPN side because
telnet to port 139 on the target system hangs also.

Any suggestions?