CD-RW install

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 11 17:00:44 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 09:39:39AM -0500, Lance F. Squire wrote:
> I've added an HP CD-Writer Plus 8100 to my Linux box. Currently Fedora 1
> grub loader.
>
> I can find how toos for after configuration, eg. How to burn
> But nothing on how to configure to be recognised as a burner.
>
> Kudzu currently sees it as a regular cd.
>
> I know I have to add something to the boot line...i think. But I'm not
> sure how and/or proper format.

If you have cdrecord 2.x and 2.4.x kernel, try this:

cdrecord -scabbus -dev ATAPI:

If that works, then you have nothing else to do, just doing this should
work:

cdrecord -dev ATAPI:0,0,0 (replace by what scanbus said) -speed x -eject
etc blah.iso

mkisofs makes the .iso.

If you don't have cdrecord 2.x or you want to use cdrdao for some
reason, you will need to enable ide-scsi for the device in question
(cdrdao cvs at the moment does support ATAPI burning but the latest
 release doesn't).

You do get significatly better performance by not using ide-scsi since
you can then do DMA when writing audio and weird block size CDs, not
just 2048byte block data CDs.  I certainly don't use ide-scsi anymore.

Lennart Sorensen