Update dependencies

Phillip Mills pmills-5bG9SNWDbRX3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 10 18:10:40 UTC 2004

So far I've been in the habit of installing things one of two ways.  Use my
SuSE distribution CDs for whatever is there or download simple programs as
source, build, and go.  Now I'm trying to install some more-complicated
things and seem to be falling into a pit.

RPM.  I get using it for local installations, but it seems to have http/ftp
ability as well.  And it doesn't actually *deny* that it can resolve
dependencies.  But I'm not sure how to get started.

My favorite thing about Perl is CPAN where it will help you find servers,
recursively check packages and version numbers....  I guess I'm hoping RPM
can do equally well given the right incantation.  I discovered rpmfind.org,
but it seems to be more a catalog than an archive.

Hints?