Linux ISP w/USR 56K modem?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 9 05:06:28 UTC 2004

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 09:52:42PM -0800, SRB wrote

> Currently I'm using 3web as my dial-up ISP. They use a Windows log-on,
> but I want to be able to access the internet from Linux. Does anyone
> know of any ISPs that offer Linux connectivity (preferably dial-up)?

  There's no unique "Linux connectivity" per se.  If it can be done via
a standard connection with the Windows dial-up wizard, it can be done in
linux.  (On the other hand, if they insist on using their Windows dialer,
you're SOL)  What will often happen is that an ISP will only have dialup
instructions for Windows dialup on their website, and it's up to you to
figure out how to do it in linux.

  Right now, I'm with 295.ca (guess how much they charge per month).  It
was only supposed to be my backup account.  However, after buying my new
place I found out that it's phone service is Futureway, and the ADSL
situation is rather fuzzy.  So I've been toughing it out on dialup
whilst waiting for clarification.

  Back to the original question, 295.ca charges $2.95/month, plus
there's a connect fee the first month.  The connection instructions on
their website only show how to connect under Windows, but I am living
proof that it works under linux.  I'm running Debian stable, using pon
to connect and poff to disconnect.  pppconfig configures things.

> PS... my modem is a USRobotics "56K Faxmodem PCI for Windows" model
  Ouch! Forget it.  You'll need a real external modem with RS-232
connection.  Do *NOT* get a USB toy !

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did