Linux ISP w/USR 56K modem?

Byron Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 7 06:35:44 UTC 2004

> Currently I'm using 3web as my dial-up ISP. They use a Windows log-on,
> but I want to be able to access the internet from Linux. Does anyone
> know of any ISPs that offer Linux connectivity (preferably dial-up)?

What you need to do is to find out what protocol is used for
establishing the connection. I'm guessing it's PPP of some kind, need
more details... i.e. describe your logon process and what kind of things
it asks you for, tell us about the windows client, what kind of options
does it provide, etc. Shouldn't be too big a deal.

> PS... my modem is a USRobotics "56K Faxmodem PCI for Windows" model
> 5699B. Are there any issues (ie. driver) getting this to work properly
> in any Linux distros? ...hopefully not... :~o

Doesn't look promising...
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/18/2003/07/4/75498
Thing looks to be a 'winmodem' which requires the OS to do alot of the
work so it's very windows specific.

However, progress has been made in linux supporting these devices:
http://www.linmodems.org/ , http://start.at/modem ... but upon checking,
it looks like you're S.O.L. on this one.

Chances are someone on the list will have a spare/unused modem that will
work for you, and probably for free or at a very reasonable price.

Regards,
Byron

--

For Good, return Good. For Evil, return Justice.