smtp advice needed

Austin aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 6 17:06:59 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 11:56, Tim Writer wrote:
> What do you mean by that?  You have dialup/DSL service provided by your
> school?  By ISP, I mean the provider of your networking service, not your
> e-mail or web provider.  Your school could be your e-mail provider while you
> have another ISP (Bell Sympatico, Rogers, etc.) providing the networking
> service.

No, the school is my ISP.  I'm on their lan.  (10 Mb/s is NICE)

> If your school really is your ISP, that's a configuration error on their end.
> They should allow you to realy through them (and should also provide reversed
> DNS service).

Yeah, but I'm afraid to ask them... we're not supposed to use routers,
only hubs (stupid rules), but I need the router to get other ethernet
devices working (non-computers).  It's because they want to know the MAC
of every machine on their network, so they say no routers, which is
stupid, cause you can easily spoof any MAC you want, if you have reason
to.

> I doubt it.  Your router will be doing NAT so that outbound packets passing
> through your router will be translated to appear to come from 199.212.73.21.
> They don't know you're 192.168.0.100 and don't care.  This is a fairly
> standard setup.

Gotcha.  But that makes the problem even weirder, because it DOES work
without going through the router.

I'll mess with it some more.
Thanks for your help,
Austin