Options for LEGITIMATE mail relaying...

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 6 03:04:37 UTC 2004

My brother has recently started to get bitten by the problem that his
ISP (down in Texas, so it's not one of the locals) is refusing to let
him use his own domain name's address on his email.

That sort of thing would certainly "crimp my style;" I commonly use an
@acm.org address...

Apparently the only way he has, at present, to get mail to come out of
his "@his-domain.com" address is to scp messages over to the host where
his web site and such resides, and inject messages straight into
/usr/lib/sendmail :-(.

Someone else manages the server, and he can't relay mail into that SMTP
server (I'm not sure what flavor it is); his ISP rejects attempts to
send mail out as if it's from "@his-domain.com".

I hate to admit that he's running "That Other Operating System," at
home...

Are there any "free mail relays" out there, for those that _aren't_
rewriting addresses for evil?  The one thought that comes to mind is
that if there's an SMTP server that will relay so long as you connect as
an authenticated user, that might do the trick...
--
let name="aa454" and tld="freenet.carleton.ca" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/linuxxian.html