smtp advice needed

aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 6 01:42:44 UTC 2004

Quoting Tim Writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>:
> Most commonly via direct SMTP to their ISP's SMTP server.  Another common
> approach is to configure your MTA (postfix, sendmail, whatever) to forward
> all outgoing e-mail to a "smart host", again usually your ISP's SMTP server.
> There are other approaches but these are the simplest.

Hehe, thanks Tim, but the school IS my ISP.  When I try to SMTP to them, I get
this error:

Error while performing operation:
RCPT TO <me-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> failed: <me at yahoo.ca>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup
failed [199.212.73.21]

My router has obviously been assigned to 199.212.73.21 by the school, but my PC
is 192.168.0.100 as assigned by the router's DHCP.  I think that's the problem,
right?

I tried relaying through postfix as you suggested, but postfix refuses to run
until I provide it with a valid complete hostname, which I of course don't have,
since the router just calls me 'localhost'.

I hate networking!

Thanks for your assistance,
Austin