smtp advice needed

aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 6 00:02:24 UTC 2004

I need to mail sending help...

I just recently bought a router for my home network.  I needed it to be able to
use my new Prismiq media player (VERY cool, prismiq.com).  Now it seems I cannot
send email from home though...  My SMTP server at school seems to do some sort
of reverse DNS on my IP, and since it's a local (192.168.) address, it can't
find me, and thinks I'm a spambot.  I also tried using postfix directly, but it
tries to do a DNS lookup on my hostname.  My router assigns me an arbitrary
hostname (ususally: localhost) so that doesn't work either.  How the hell do
people send email from behind a router?

Thanks,
Austin