debian: what sound drivers ?

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 5 17:25:20 UTC 2004

Fraser Campbell wrote:

> On January 17, 2004 04:04 pm, Peter L. Peres wrote:
>
> > What sound drivers does Debian use ? OSS ?
>
> Whichever ones you want it to.
>
> 2.4 kernels come only with OSS drivers as far as I know.  Do an "apt-cache
> search alsa" and you'll see modules for alsa that can be installed if that is
> what you want.  If you're running kernel-image-2.4.22-1-686 then you would
> have to "apt-get install alsa-modules-2.4.22-1-686".

I hope I'm not being too thick here. This thread started at the same time as one
I had started about getting sound working in rh 7.3 (so VMware will be able to
work with that module as well). This stuff you have here is not supposed to work
with rh 7.3 is it? It's referring to Debian. If it's no good for rh 7.3, I'll
ignore this thread and pick up where I left off on the 'CM8738 "Sound Blaster
compatible"?' thread:

[lsf-5jgDBJOV2nY at public.gmane.org lsf]$ su
Password:
[root-5jgDBJOV2nY at public.gmane.org lsf]# apt-cache search alsa