the box locks up !

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 3 21:52:06 UTC 2004

Madison Kelly wrote:

> You can (usuallY) enable SMART monitoring in the system BIOS. It -may-
> tell you something, but that is rare.

I read that, that's why I never bothered

> You may want to surface-scan /dev/hdb and see what is reported. Also,
> check SYSLOG to see if there are any "I/O <blah blah>" errors on
> 'hdb'. If you see that, replace the drive asap.

I have been unable to locate an executable named "surface-scan" and
found no "I/O <yadda yadda>" errors in /var/log/syslog.
I did find a bunch of crap that reminds me how lacking my admin skills
are though.
(modules don't need, etc.)

for example and your amusement;

Feb  3 15:40:02 PIII500 /USR/SBIN/CRON[3662]: (root) CMD ([ -d
/etc/shaper ] && /etc/init.d/shaper
timecheck)
    (repeated 6+ times, shaper's for balancing cluster loads, no ?)
Feb  3 14:54:49 PIII500 modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
char-major-116
    (repeated 20+ times)
Feb  3 14:51:22 PIII500 squid: Could not determine fully qualified
hostname.  Please set 'visible_h
ostname'
Feb  3 14:51:11 PIII500 kernel: Promise Fasttrak(tm) Softwareraid driver
0.03beta: No raid array fo
und
Feb  3 14:51:11 PIII500 kernel: Highpoint HPT370 Softwareraid driver for
linux version 0.01-ww1
Feb  3 14:51:11 PIII500 kernel: No raid array found
    (maybe 'cause I 'm not using a raid ?)

Is webmin the answer to my module management woes ?
Should I just give up and use Knoppix day to day ?
Is there anyone out there who offers custom kernel compiling services,
for a reasonable fee ?

djp
    .. I'm an EXCELLENT driver ..