USB/Firewire IDE case

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 3 18:44:59 UTC 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Lloyd Budd wrote:

> Are they external drives? or did you purchase the drives and the

I purchased the cases and drives seperately but some companies do sell
them together.  The ones sold together are simply a stock standard IDE
drive in the same case.  The only difference is they put it in for you :)

> "cases" separately.  If you purchased the case separately, what brand
> are they?

You know something, neither of them has any visible brand markings.
Strange.  These cases are readily available in small computer shops. I got
one of my two on "Computer Row" on Spadina where all the small computer
shops are.

I use Firewire but some people swear by the combo devices - allowing
access via firewire or usb.  The great thing is that if you absolutely
_had_ to get at the data and had neither firewire or usb readily available
(admittedly unlikely these days) you can take the drive out and mount it
as an internal IDE drive.  This gives tremendous ability to get at the
data in an emergency.

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.