which language

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 2 19:06:22 UTC 2004

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Tim Writer wrote:

> Henry already responded regarding arity and type matching for function calls.
> However, I'm curious, why you would require this feature for implementing a
> state machine.  The states of state machines are quite naturally described as

You are assuming I will compile it. I would like it to be interpreted, and
possibly self-modifying. I would also like to be be spared the effort to
write each state and each transition. Instead I'd like to be able to write
a set of clauses for each state, each clause encoding a test and a
transition, and possibly clauses that generate sets or subsets of such
clauses (that would be inheritance, the Prolog way, I guess).

I could use a table or write a parser that interprets such a 'language'.
Using functions with variable arguments (and default arguments) would be
one easier way to implement such a thing, I think.

Peter